To say that a house fire is devastating is an understatement. In fact, you’re fortunate if you and your family come out alive. It can be absolutely heart-wrenching to see the damage that fire can do to your property and valuables. Even after the flames are put down, you have to deal with the aftermath through proper cleanup and restoration.
Fire always leaves destruction in its wake. However, you can make the recovery process better by bringing a restoration service in Brooklyn into the picture.
But before these professionals begin the process of restoring your home, there are a few things you and your family ought to know. Here’s our guide to handling fire damage:
Let’s take a look at some of the dos when dealing with the aftermath of a fire:
- Safety: Always remember that safety is a top priority. All actions after the fire must be taken with the utmost precaution. If you think it isn’t safe to go back, it’s best to stay away. Some jobs should only be left to the professionals.
- Insurance: Your insurance comes into the picture after a fire outbreak. For this reason, be sure to contact your insurance agent to verify your coverage and kick off the damage assessment. While at it, make sure you take pictures of the damages, which will serve as proof.
- Restoration: Property cleanup, repair, and restoration are necessary after a fire. Instead of taking on the task yourself and risking further damage and injury, however, get in touch with your local restoration company.
Here at Yellow Restoration, we provide 24/7 fire damage restoration services in Brooklyn. Even if it’s an emergency situation, you can count on our highly reliable, responsive, and efficient professionals.
- Heating system: It’s best to immediately replace the filters of your furnace whenever possible.
- Ventilation: Make sure to open the windows and doors for ventilation—that is, if the weather allows.
- Furnishings: Immediately cover any dry furnishings and upholstery with sheets to protect them from further damage.
- Clothes: Have all your affected clothes get cleaned by professional fire damage restoration cleaners.
- Foods and beverages: It’s best to throw away all the foods and drinks left after the fire.
Now, let’s discuss some of the dont’s of handling fire damage:
- Don’t ever get back to your home trying to save things. Only do so if and when the fire department confirms it is safe to go back.
- Don’t wipe residues from walls, ceilings, and other surfaces. The extent of the damage first has to be assessed by your insurance company.
- Don’t clean carpets or furnishing affected by smoke residues or debris. As you don’t want your health to be compromised, it’s best to leave the job to professional cleaners.
- Don’t consume food items or even canned goods exposed to heat or fire. As mentioned above, toss them out.
- Don’t turn on the water, electricity, or gas systems until they are professionally inspected. The same is true of electronic equipment and any other devices.
At this point, you now know how to deal with the aftermath of a fire outbreak. To handle fire damage, be sure to consider the do’s and don’ts outlined above. Not only are these for your family’s safety and protection, but these are to ensure effective and efficient property restoration. Ultimately, it’s best to deal with a highly reliable fire damage restoration company on your road to getting back on track!
Are you confronted with fire damage? We’ve got you covered, as our restoration experts can handle your problem! We provide disaster and restoration services in Brooklyn, New York—from mold damage to fire damage to water damage restoration. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help!